Similar to last year, I’m doing a bucket list and goals for the year instead of resolutions. I can’t believe it’s already 2023; who would have thought we’d make it this far after 2020??? The new year is upon us, folks, and here are some things I’d like to accomplish this year:
Read 60 books
I surpassed my goal of reading 50 books this year—it looks like I’m finishing with 76 total books read—and figure 60 is reasonable this year to give myself some leeway in case life gets in the way.
Run five 5K races
I’m stealing this one from last year because I didn’t get to complete it. Well, only because I had COVID and finally tested negative on the day I was supposed to run a four-mile race. So I think this is still a good goal for the upcoming year, and it keeps me accountable to keep running during the week.
Fly on a plane
Yes, folks, the time has come: ya girl is finally going to take her first flight in 2023. Josh and I have plans in the works for a vacation to Washington, D.C., which will require me flying for the first time in my life (!!!!!).
Be good to my body
After realizing a lot of my clothes don’t fit me anymore, like my work pants, I got a bit discouraged. I haven’t gained a lot of weight, but I’m not the same size I was a few years ago. I want to move my body in ways that don’t feel like a chore—this would include walks, riding the stationary bike, and getting back into running. I also want to watch my portion size and continue to make most of my meals at home. I just want to treat my body well and be proud of what it’s capable of.
Go to multiple sporting events
Also stealing this one from last year. On my list are the Springfield Thunderbirds, Portland Sea Dogs (if we go to Maine again, which we will, I’d love to go to another game there), Hartford Yard Goats, and Worcester Red Sox (we kept saying we’d go last year but never got around to it). I’m glad Josh and I both love sports or else I don’t think this relationship would work.
Let’s take a look back at my 2022 list:
- Read 50 books: Yep, I reached that over the summer. I’ll finish this year with 76 books.
- Go to multiple sporting events: I went to three Springfield Thunderbirds games, one Portland Sea Dogs game, and one Hartford Yard Goats game.
- Run at least five 5K races: I ended up running four and would have run a fifth if not for COVID. So I’d say I sort of accomplished this. Can’t hold it against myself for missing one because I was sick.
- Go away on a short vacation somewhere fun: I had three great vacations this year: Cooperstown, Maine, and the Getaway House.
- Celebrate one year in my condo on July 18, 2022: I didn’t do anything fancy, aside from having a glass of wine that night, but I did write a post about my anniversary.
- Tackle projects in my condo: In the post from last year, I said I wanted to paint my kitchen cabinets. There’s a very slim chance that will actually happen because it would be so much work. I did finally get rid of the ugly fish lights in the main bathroom!
- Go to five new-to-me breweries: As I listed in my year in review post, we went to a ton of breweries this year, and I know I reached this goal early on in the year.
- Binge-watch an entire show: I don’t think I actually accomplished this. I did finish Brooklyn Nine-Nine this year, but I had started watching it in 2021. I’m close to finishing Dynasty, all five seasons on Netflix, but won’t finish it until this month or next month. So yeah. This was kind of a long-shot goal.