I turned 26 yesterday, and I still feel 25. I’ll probably tell people I’m 25 when they ask how old I am. 26 is one more year closer to 30. 25 was nice; it was right in the middle, and I wasn’t a college student anymore, and I wasn’t quite an adult yet. (Like I have four years of work experience? That doesn’t seem right.)
I’m not gonna lie, though, quarantine birthdays are pretty boring. When all of this started back in March, I thought maybe we’d be in the clear by Memorial Day, but I was wrong. So I became a quarantine birthday statistic. I mean, if we weren’t in this situation, I’d be no means having a big birthday party, but I’d at least like to be able to go to a brewery. That’s all I’d want. Instead I stayed home, watched some episodes of Home Town in the morning, and in the afternoon, sat outside and read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows—which I finished 😦
I share my birthday with my mom. It was completely unplanned on all of our parts; I was supposed to be born a week earlier on May 18, but I decided to wait it out until the 25th. Luckily I had already bought her gift in February; it has been sitting in its box from QVC in our basement since then. My parents gave me a QVC gift card and had paid for a few things I’ve gotten in the last month, like beer from a local brewery, my new yoga mat, and something else…it was just easier that way because none of us were really going to go out and get gifts. We got a cake from the ice cream shop, which is the main photo for this post. It’s just a regular cake with vanilla and chocolate ice cream, but it’s still really good. I let the girls decorate it however they wanted since I’m not currently working there; one of the girls who I’m really close with decorated it and did a great job 🙂
At work we do birthday lunches, and May is a popular month for them. There are four of us with May birthdays: one of my co-workers, my boss, his boss, and then me. It’s fun when about half the office gets to go out and have lunch together. When we did my birthday lunch last year, there were I think 10 of us—including two people from other departments—and almost all of us got fish tacos and it was fun. I’m missing out on fish tacos this year, folks!
I took this week off, which I had actually planned to do months ago, but figured I still should take the vacation days. I will be hanging around, floating in our pool, and reading; oh, and running and yoga, too.
Since I can’t offer you any words of wisdom or 26 things I’ve learned by 26 without getting into all of the cliches, I’ll leave you with some of my favorite posts I wrote while 25:
- The One Where I Avoid Mascots: Sad that I most likely won’t be able to make it to a Hartford Yard Goats game this year.
- It’s Just a Mile, How Bad Could It Be?: I ran a mile in 8:42 last June, something I didn’t think was possible.
- Yes, I Do Actually Have to Work During the Summer: This does look a lot different this summer.
- The Big 5K & The Big E: Just reminiscing at this point of the fun things I got to do last year.
- Bright Nights 5K: I ran in 28 degrees but wore antlers and a red tutu, so it was fine.
- Call Me, Beep Me…Actually Don’t Call Me: Me hating calling people will not change at 26.
- Super Bowl LIV: The Battle of the Red & Gold Color Schemes (Drinking Game Included): I always enjoy my pre-Super Bowl posts with a drinking game.
- Thirty Questions: This one was just fun to do.