I’ve never been a big fan of Valentine’s Day – well being single for the first 19 years of my life could have something to do with that. I feel grateful that I was able to spend one V-Day with someone last year, however, this year, I’d rather spend it with my dogs.
Being single after spending last February 14th in a relationship has made me start thinking about self-love. It took me a while to fully appreciate myself for who I am and how to be truly kind to myself because I can be my own worst enemy. I want to take a more up-beat approach to this post, though. Below you will find a (short) list of things I love – whether it’s certain athletes, feelings, my dogs, or just little things in my life.
- How excited my dogs get when I come home from school for the weekend
- A warm shower on a cold day
- Talking about baseball with others who love it just as much as I do
- Finishing my run knowing I pushed myself a little further
- Law & Order: SVU marathons
- All of my former baseball loves that have moved onto greener pastures (ex: Jacoby Ellsbury, Will Middlebrooks, Tim Wakefield, Daniel Bard, Jon Lester)
- All dogs – I’ve never met a dog I didn’t like
- Cheesy Hallmark movies
- Spending some quality time alone, but balancing it with spending time with friends
- Reading a good book
- My mom’s cooking
- Long drives
- The feeling of clean sheets and new PJs
In my experience, I’ve seen myself at my worst, and I was lucky enough to find someone who helped me find the best version of myself. I haven’t lost that, and I’ve only been improving since. Take a few moments and think about the things you love. It’s the things that make you happy, relaxed, and feel good about yourself. You deserve the best.
Happy Valentine’s Day!