The students moved back and started classes two weeks ago. For some reason, it’s been pretty quiet work load wise, so that makes me think I’m forgetting to do something. But now is just some down time to work on some projects before we ramp up for admissions-based things come the spring. So, yeah, nothing too exciting to report on this front 🤷
I’m trying to be better about being nicer to myself when it comes to running. I’m six weeks out on Saturday to my 10K race. In my training, I’m up to 6 mile runs, and will be at 6 miles for the next few weeks before jumping up to 6.5 miles and then eventually I’ll be running 7 miles by the week of the race.
My ankle has been acting up again 😦 I sprained it my senior year of college over four years ago, and it likes to flare up every once in a while, and I think it’s worse now because I’m running longer distances. I have two ACE wraps I wear, and I’ve been icing my ankle, too. I just have to be careful and listen to my body when running if it starts to hurt.
FOLKS. So many sports things happened this month:
- Houston Astros get punished for sign stealing scheme during 2017 season. MLB suspended their manager and GM, and then the Astros were like, “Hold my beer” and then fired the manager and GM. However, the guy at the center of the scandal was Alex Cora.
- That being said, based solely on the Astros situation, the Boston Red Sox—who are under investigation by MLB for sign stealing in 2018—”mutually agreed to part ways” with Cora, who managed the team for the last two seasons after spending time with the Astros as their bench coach. I’m sure that made for an awkward Red Sox Winter Weekend as the event occurred just a few days after the announcement.
- So baseball activities start next month and the Sox don’t have a manager yet. WHOO.
- And then another day later, the New York Mets fired their manager Carlos Beltrán, who was one of the players named in MLB’s report about the Astros scandal.
- The other day the Astros hired Dusty Baker to be their manager.
- Eli Manning retired.
- Kobe Bryant and eight others died in a freak helicopter accident.
The Super Bowl is this Sunday, and I’ll have a preview post out tomorrow.
OH. ALSO. I’M GOING TO A RED SOX GAME IN MAY!!!!!! 🎉
What I’m Watching
- Prodigal Son
- FBI Most Wanted: not 100% sure about how I feel about this show yet. I’ll give it another episode or so.
- New Amsterdam
- Schitt’s Creek
- 68 Whiskey
- The Good Place
- Law & Order: SVU
- Dr. Pimple Popper
- My Feet Are Killing Me
- Lincol Rhyme: The Hunt for the Bone Collector: I have a bunch of issues with this show and I’m only two episodes in.
- Lone Star Law
Also keep in mind I’m incredibly behind on most of these shows. I just haven’t had time to watch them in my DVR.
- The West Wing: I’m halfway through season 2 at the moment. Very good show. Will continue through all 7 seasons.
- Medical Police: Funny and satirical. It’s a short series, so it’s easy to watch.
- Killer Inside: The Mind of Aaron Hernandez: I liked it. I feel like they just kind of swept in the whole CTE thing at the very end when I think it probably played a bigger role. But I think there were a bunch of things that came together in his life that caused what happened.
What I’m Reading
- The Alutrists by Andrew Ridker: 4 stars
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowling: 4 stars
- Dumpty: The Age of Trump in Verse by John Lithgow: 4 stars
- Going Dutch by James Gregor: DNF
- Would Like to Meet by Rachel Winters: 3 stars
- Aaron Hernandez’s Killing Fields: Exposing Untold Murders, Violence, Cover-Ups, and the NFL’s Shocking Code of Silence by Dylan Howard: 3 stars
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling: currently reading
- The Nix by Nathan Hill: currently reading
It seems like this January didn’t last as long as last year’s January did; I’m glad this month went by pretty quickly.
So, I was social this month! On New Year’s Day, I went out to dinner with two of the girls from the ice cream shop and one of their boyfriends. It was fun to catch up with them since I haven’t seen them since October.
I grabbed drinks with a co-worker from my actual job in the beginning of the month at the local casino. We went to the bar I went to last year after I went ice skating. The drink I got was called “The Old Man and the Sea” and it was really good. AND came in the nifty glass to the left.
It was nice to hang out with her outside of work and just talk about a bunch of random stuff.
I also saw some kitties! My mom’s friend who we got my cat from fosters litters and we went to play with the new litter a few weeks ago. It’s a good way to socialize them, plus they’re just super cute to play with.
My Questions For You!
- How was your January?
- Is it cold where you are?
- Did January feel like 39284729 days long?
- Anything you’re looking forward to?