My Year in Review: 2017

Check out my 2016 and 2015 years in review!

We celebrated Sadie Mae’s eighth birthday in January with a yogurt bone, a custom hat, and some toys. She devoured the cookie in seconds.

During one of the snow storms in March, I broke out my camera and snapped some pictures of the pups in the snow. My dad threw snowballs at them, and this picture of them running in the yard is one of my favorites.

We celebrated Maggie’s fifth birthday in April, which also fell on Opening Day for the Red Sox. She was less excited about the hat but enjoyed her special birthday cookie.


In April and again over the summer, I made my modeling debut. I ended up being personally involved in a campaign one of my clients was doing, and my picture was used in a newspaper ad and on a poster for their lobby. My picture was also used on a direct mailing postcard, so my apologies to the parts of Western MA that were bombarded with my face. (I got an extra postcard, and my mom has it up on the fridge.)

In April I made it down to visit one of my friends from high school, Stacey, who was in her last semester at CCSU. It was my last chance to relive my college days. (Also the day after this picture was taken, I chopped off most of my hair.)
One of my old clients is the local chamber of commerce, and one of my bosses (at the time) and I went to one of the chamber’s annual events where local restaurants can make their signature dish and the people in attendance can vote on their favorites. It was at a country club in Hampden, MA, and this picture is looking out over the golf course. Sometimes I forget how pretty Western MA can be.

The same boss and I attended the Western MA’s Ad Club’s creative awards, where local agencies could enter work they have done over the last year in different categories. It was in a cool little room in an old mill in Easthampton, and it was awesome to see all of the different work other agencies have done. Plus my old boss knows I’ll attend events if there’s food.

In May, we took a trip down to visit one of our new clients, a calamari supplier in Rhode Island. It was a beautiful day, and they’re right on the water in Narragansett. We got a tour of the facility and even got to clean our own squids! Plus I tried calamari for the first time, and it wasn’t actually all that bad.


Continuing our annual tradition of doing something together on my birthday, Val (one of the girls from the ice cream shop) took me to get my nails done for the first time. She found it to be Snapchat story worthy.

I took the weekend of my birthday off, and that Friday my mom and I went up to Northampton for most of the day. It was her first time up there, and although it was a rainy day, it was nice to walk around and visit some of the shops.

Another year, another summer spent at Smyth’s. The first picture is of me and Meg on the night of their high school class night. A few of them stopped by before going, and Mom (me) had to get a picture with one of her kids. The second picture is of me taking pictures of the shop for the Facebook page. Last season I became unofficially in charge of running our Facebook page, so I figured it’d probably be good to have some actual shots of the ice cream.

Although I have access to ice cream for most of the year, I still like to visit other places. I took myself on an ice cream date over the summer to a little place in Wilbraham, MA and have been back a few times since.

Anyone who knows me knows that kids freak me out. Over the summer, one of the girls from Smyth’s (who’s about ten years older than me) had her second child, pictured above. Her son is my favorite kid ever, and I’m sure his sister will be my second favorite kid ever. And let’s be honest, picking out baby clothes is so much fun. I got Lily a chambray shirt and leggings with cats on them, which I was so proud of.

Of course I had to visit my old stomping grounds at some point this year. I met up with one of my friends, Ben, who I knew from WNE and enjoyed a piece of French fry pizza from Peppa’s at the bar where I spent most of my Thursdays during senior year.

This little nugget’s name is Cooper, and his owner is one of my doctor’s. My mom had an appointment earlier in the day, told me the pup was there, and we went back so I could see him. (I’ve been going to said doctor since I was six, so it’s not as weird as it sounds. Or it is.)


I got to go to a Red Sox game this summer, and I was one happy girl. I went with two girls from Smyth’s, Meg and Erica, and we made a day out of it. We went on a Friday and grabbed a late lunch at Boston Beer Works before the game and walked around Fenway before heading to our seats. We sat out in right field, about fifteen rows back from the field.
During that time in the season, the Sox were on an extra-inning streak, and of course the game we went to went into extras. Our plan was to leave after the 11th inning because it was getting late, and the baseball Gods must have heard us because Mitch Moreland hit a walk-off homer into the Green Monster to win it in the 11th. It was my first live walk-off, and it was fantastic. Everyone in the stands went crazy.
On the way back to where we parked (in the Prudential Center), we stopped for ice cream at JP Licks before departing Boston before midnight. I had a blast and hope to go back again next season.

The agency I work for did all of the marketing for the Westfield Air Show this summer, and I had the chance to attend during the weekend and take pictures for the social media accounts. On the Friday before the show, we went to see the Black Daggers parachute team jump, and I worked on Saturday on the air base in Westfield. It was my first air show, and there were static displays of planes (my favorites were the War Birds, which are old planes from WWII) and also aerial shows. I didn’t stay long enough to see the Thunderbirds perform, but I got to watch the pilots walk by which was just fine by me.

My parents, a family friend, and I went to a Hartford Yard Goats game this summer. We used to go to New Britain Rock Cats games when I was growing up, and the Yard Goats are the new double AA team in the area. The stadium was great, and I appreciated the wide beer selection. We’re definitely going back next season.

We got a kitten! Her name is Stella Luna. My mom’s best friend fosters kittens that are trapped in the area, and after some convining of my dad, we brought home Stella in the beginning of October. She’s about four and a half months old now, and she’s a little turd but she’s so cute.

One of my coworkers, her cousin, and myself took a trip out to Treehouse Brewery in Charlton, MA in the fall. It was my first time out there, and we waited about two hours in line. The beer is pretty good, and I want to go back when they’re pouring drafts.

I originally started writing a fiction story back during my senior year of college, and then it went through a re-write and reorganization in April of this year. I changed the plot and conflict and this version is working much better. I kinda-sorta participated in my first National Novel Writing Month in November. The goal is to write 50,000 words during the month, but that wasn’t possible for me. I ended up writing just over 23,000 words and broke 50,000 total words for my story. It’s at about 78,000 now and I have a few chapters left.

I was invited out to a concert in Worcester, MA in the beginning of December to see the Goo Goo Dolls. They were awesome live. I also got to meet Jack Vandervelde, who was one of the openers.

Ya girl finished her Master’s program! 15 months went by slow and also went by fast, and now that I have all of this free time, I don’t know what I’m going to do.

For the office Christmas party, this year was an ugly sweater contest (last year was cubicle decorating). I made mine and placed second in voting. I was jingling all day and shedding glitter and spent most of my time with my arms out as the mantle.
I’m hoping to do a brief 2018 resolutions post soon, so keep an eye out for that!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.